RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: mburch5717 ( mburch5717@AOL.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2007

Sorry I missed the party. It would have been great to meet fellow avians.

Would anyone in the LA area be up for having a group dinner every once in a while?

I've tried skulking in the shadows with regard to the 'Long Goodbye'discussion but have finally broken down to add my two cents.

1. I personally come down on the 'I don't think Altman's film was terribly good' side of the argument because to a large degree I don't find the arguments defending his film persuasive.

Altman and Brackett's notion that the genre wouldn't hold up for contemporary audiences if it was played straight doesn't hold water for me. I'd cite 'Harper', 'Marlowe', 'Farewell My Lovely', 'Chinatown'and 'Body Heat' as films made before during and after LG that successfully (as fims and not in terms of box office) stuck with the basic conventions and mood of the genre. In almost every case the attempt was made to have the material appeal to a contemoroary audience without resorting to the bizarre and extremely self-conscious mocking of the genre that LG does.

2. I certainly don't buy the absolutism of the statements that art has no morals, shouldn't preach morality etc. Almost all literature since the beginning of time has been very much consciously moral. The whole 'art for art's sake' or art has no morality argument is a relatively recent notion and is not a terribly convincing one based on the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And as a minor matter I certainly wouldn't turn to Oscar Wilde for advice on morality of any sort let alone the uses or morality in literature.

In fact if you look at the life and works of Hammett, Chandler, MacDonald et al it is very clear that moral concerns were very much a part of their personal characters and their fiction. Not one of their creations suggests that their protagonists feel that crime is an activity that should be treated indifferently nor are any of the criminals ever portrayed as good people whose morals or lives should be emmulated.

Here endth the lesson.

Cheers.

Mike