Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 16 Feb 2007

In a message dated 2/15/07 6:02:15 PM, tieresias@worldnet.att.net writes:

> I dunno.  I just finally saw "The Black Dahlia," and in light of how bad I
> thought it was (when it could have been so good) and how absolutely terrific I
> thought "HOLLYWOODLAND" was, maybe I need to go watch "The Long Goodbye"
> again to see whether TBD actually makes it look better.

rarely do I start talking back to the screen. but The Black Dahlia had me doing so, and then everyone around me started chiming in. normally terrific actors who I won't bother to single out, absolutely embarrass themselves. the film is beautiful to look at, but that's all you do, look at it. it never transports you into its world. and the script never solved the coherency problems that almost all of Ellroy's work suffers from

Hollywoodland probably makes my ten favorite films of all time list. if you've worked in Hollywood and never reached your perception of your potential like I have, the look in Ben Affleck's eyes near the end of the film would eat your guts for a few weeks too

I like movies that can do that to me. my absolute favorite is Sunset Boulevard

John Lau