Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 11 Feb 2007

-----Original Message-----

And I believe you are. Sorry Jim, but I think your thinking is very one dimensional on this subject and your statements seem very clear on the matter. No need to backpeddle now. You think losers are losers. And it's a bad thing. But Altman, thriving in the 60s and 70s, looked at history - and what was going on in the present - and decided that the winners were not always in the right. And that small victories were occasionally to be enjoyed by the losers - who also would then manage to look themselves in the mirror in the morning because they stayed true to their convictions, no matter what the cost to them personally. It is in this spirit that I believe his version of Marlowe was born.

And, as others have said, I don't think he was far from Chandler's vision.

>I don't care whether he's sympathetic to losers or not. I care that he
>made Marlowe into a loser when he wasn't one.
>
>JIM DOHERTY

That's an extremely debatable opinion as well.

I don't see Marlowe kicking his heels in joy at the end of most of Chandler's stories.

I think the last scene of THE SEVEN SAMURAI sums up the knight errant philosophy perfectly. Two samurai look at the villagers they have saved, who are now enjoying their freedom from the bandits who oppressed them, then they look on the hill where four of their dead comrades are buried and one of them remarks that despite winning the overall battle, the villagers are the only winners here. The samurai are, ultimately, the losers. They lost their comrades and now must leave the village because they are not fit to live among the normal citizens. It would be intolerable for both the classes. They are, ultimately, alone in the world.

And so is Marlowe.

TL