Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 12 Feb 2007

-----Original Message-----

I think Marlowe acts morally throughout the film. And it is foreshadowed in everything he says and does.

>Gould's Marlowe is simply someone who gets pushed from
>pillar to post with little protest and then,
>unexpectedly, erupts at the end, less, it seemed to
>me, because he was disgusted at the murder, than
>because of Lennox's betrayal.

You need to watch the scene again, then.

>And all Canino had to do was give up when Marlowe
>braced him. Instead he came up shooting. Supposedly
>a member of the old NYPD stakeout team once said that
>stakeouts are set up to be executions in the hope that
>they turn out to be nice, quiet surrenders. Do you
>really think Marlowe would have shot Canino, however
>much he may have deserved it, if Canino had dropped
>the gun and given up?

He knew he wasn't going to do that. And he sets him up because he wants to kill him. Because Canino killed Harry Jones and Canino was definitely going to kill Marlowe. Marlowe is pissed and wants to have a semi-justifiable shoot out. But he lays in wait and tricks Canino who really never has a chance of surviving. I've always thought it was a pretty brutal ambush scene. But I never got insulted by it thinking it was beneth Marlowe's dignity. By your standards, I think it was.

>That's not just the passage of time; that's a material
>difference in the way the situation is handled. One
>shot down an armed man in self-defense. The other
>shot down an unarmed man in cold blood.

If you say so (see above). If the Hays code was still in effect, Terry would have had to have shot first. But even Han Solo shot first in 1977, even if Lucas decided to clean up his act for the remastered version of Star Wars to the dismay of nerdlingers across the land.

For awhile there, filmmakers and audiences understood that in real life shooting first could mean the difference between life and death and they didn't mind seeing the Hays code convention turned on its ear.

I miss the 70s.

>"You sir, are very easily entertained."
>
>If I was that easily enteratined, Altman wouldn't have
>had such a hard time entertaining me.

Yeah, but it must be hard to be entertained while being defecated on. Unless you like that kind of thing.

>". . . in the 70s that would mean he'd have to be dead
>by the third or fourth reel. It would be a little hard
>to believe that Marlowe could 'push back' against five
>or six thugs and survive. Especially if one of them
>was the Terminator."
>
>Why? He was pushing back against the same kinds of
>thugs just 3 years earlier in MARLOWE.

He lets Bruce Lee demolish his office and never says a word about it or takes a swipe at him. He had to finally pull a gun on him, but he never touches Bruce Lee in response to his two attacks on him. In the second attack the filmmakers were wise enough to realize Marlowe wouldn't have a chance against this guy and he merely tricks him into jumping off the building. (Which is where the incredibly stupid part comes in.)

The rest of the film is not memorable enough for me to know what kind of pushing back he does. But I doubt he ever takes on six thugs.

Who do you think he is? Bruce Lee?

Had things
>changed that much in 4 years.

No. Audiences had over the nearly thirty years between the time Marlowe first hit the screen and when The Long Goodbye was made. Two dimensional heroics were not in favor then, unless the hero was James Bond (or Bruce Lee!).

 Harry Callahan faced
>multiple thugs in DIRTY HARRY, just 2 years earlier.

Harry never minded shooting first.

>The point is, Callahan, and Marlowe as depicted in
>MARLOWE, were portrayed as men you COULD believe might
>prevail against superior odds, and, in any case, were
>portrayed as men who wouldn't simply knuckly under.
>Just two years AFTER TLG, Mitchum's Marlowe was facing
>down multiple thugs in the remake of FAREWELL, MY
>LOVELY, and, while it was SET in the '40's, do you
>really think '70's-era thugs were that much more
>dangerous?

As I said before, it's not about the thugs. It's about the maturation of the audience. And Mitchum never takes on six thugs. I think he even gets his ass beat by two. Of course, one of them is Rocky. (What's with these future movie icons shoving Marlowe around? I say we keep an eye on the background players in the upcoming Marlowe films for a clue to our stars of tomorrow.)

>It's unbelievable for Gould's Marlowe-the-Nebbish to
>fight back precisely because he's depicted as a
>nebbish instead of the archetype of the hard-boiled
>PI.
>
>"And most of us knew he was speaking ironically from
>the very beginning. The bullet was just an exclamation
>mark. One that I would think would guarantee
>clarification for the few confused stragglers out
>there who hadn't gotten it yet."
>
>I didn't think he was being ironic, even after the
>bullet. Just insincere. He was trying to avoid
>getting pushed around by acquiescing, even if it was
>clear he didn't want to acquiesce. He was the
>Chamberlain of private eyes, going along in the hope
>that it would forestall violence instead of stadning
>up to evil and, by opposing, end it.

So you're saying he was smarter than the average Marlowe?

>And, in the end, all he was able to do was shoot down
>an unarmed man.
>
>What a guy.
>
>JIM DOHERTY

In the director's cut it is clear to see that Terry is holding a loaded mint julep in the uncut scene. He had it coming.

TL