RARA-AVIS: The definition of classic

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

Curt Purcell wrote:

Please, please, please, bring it back on-topic or take it off-list. I know I'm new here and probably speaking out of turn, but some of you really need to learn how to carry out PRODUCTIVE, ON-TOPIC discussions in online discussion groups.

*********** Within the last few days someone brought up the town-taming in Red Harvest and asked if any real-life examples existed. Although subsequent examples might not directly mention hardboiled, the relationship was understood. If you read a little closer in this thread, you will see at least a couple recent comments I made as to whether Spillane will become classic or if he already is classic. The question of what is a classic is intimately tied to the question, and the subject of what qualities comprise a classic are also pertinent. So, just like the town-taming question, although hardboiled might not be directly mentioned, it is still understood to tie back to an on-topic discussion.

I don't really mind if your definition of what is on-topic varies from mine. But I do mildly object to your repeated censuring of what I and several others
(many of them long-time members) do find on-topic. I have made an attempt to keep the topic in the subject line, even as it shifts. I humbly request that you simply don't read them.

miker