RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of classic

From: Curt Purcell ( curtpurcell@hotmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Within the last few days someone brought up the
> town-taming in Red Harvest and asked if any real-life
> examples existed. Although subsequent examples might
> not directly mention hardboiled, the relationship was
> understood. If you read a little closer in this
> thread, you will see at least a couple recent comments
> I made as to whether Spillane will become classic or
> if he already is classic. The question of what is a
> classic is intimately tied to the question, and the
> subject of what qualities comprise a classic are also
> pertinent. So, just like the town-taming question,
> although hardboiled might not be directly mentioned,
> it is still understood to tie back to an on-topic
> discussion.

Heh--you're probably ready to wrangle with me for 500+ posts over the definition of "on topic." No dice, man. This is the last I'll have to say on it. Had the corruption thread meandered too far off-topic, I certainly would not have kept it up for hundreds of posts, and I would have been exasperated if someone else did. My impression of the literature thread is that substantive discussion of Spillane ended something like 2000 posts ago, and he's been shunted to the far periphery except for token mentions like the ones you cite above.

> I don't really mind if your definition of what is
> on-topic varies from mine. But I do mildly object to
> your repeated censuring of what I and several others
> (many of them long-time members) do find on-topic. I
> have made an attempt to keep the topic in the subject
> line, even as it shifts. I humbly request that you
> simply don't read them.

How many people had to complain about that death penalty garbage before you guys finally got a clue and put a sock in it? Four or five, as I recall--I know I wasn't the only one, or even the first. It's a shame if "long term members" haven't learned by now how to tell when they've gone too far afield on a tangent, when their hundreds of is-not-is-too-is-not-is-too exchanges have become a kind of online pollution, and when everyone else is losing patience with having to wade through it all.

Blather on if you want. I'm done.