Re: RARA-AVIS: Seriously about Don Pendleton now

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Nov 2002

--- James Reasoner < james53@flash.net> wrote:

> miker -- #37 is by Pendleton, #40 is by Steven
> Krauzer, #46 is by Ray
> Obstsfeld. Yeah, #37 is good, but only if you've
> read the first 36 and
> liked them. It's the next to the last book in the
> series actually by
> Pendleton. After that it's taken over by other
> writers. You can tell who
> wrote the books by looking for the "Special Thanks
> and Acknowledgment" on
> the copyright page. As in any series written by a
> stable of authors, some
> are pretty good, some are pretty awful.

I never liked Pendleton's stuff. I've read a few of the early Executioners (the debut, the Caribbean one, the Philly one) and they all take themselves far too seriously. The notion of a one-man war against the Mafia is inherently pretty cheesy, but there's a lot of ponderous "What it all means" passages in these books.

Actually, it almost plays like camp.

Marvel comic's rip-off character, The Punisher, is IMO a much better expression of the idea.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com