RE: RARA-AVIS: Seriously about Don Pendleton now

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 17 Nov 2002

Thanks James and Doug, for your comments on Pendleton. I'm glad to hear that I slipped into low enough serial numbers to pick one of his out. There's an essay about him in MURDER OFF THE RACK, and I want to read at least one of his so I'm familiar with him. I wish I could have got one of the very early ones to read, but #37 was the best I could do here locally, and buying from Abebooks almost guaratees a $4 shipping charge in addition to the cost of the book, so 75 cents sounded like a bargain.

And noting your comment on Pendleton being camp, Doug:

In some of this older stuff, it's hard to tell where the seriousness leaves off and the camp begins. Out of the last six books I've read, two were outright accused of being jokes: Vian's I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE and Hallas's YOU PLAY THE BLACK AND THE RED COMES UP. And I've been working my way through Bellem's HIGH ADVENTURES #60 collection, and although I absolutely love them, it's pretty darned hard to take them seriously.

miker