Re: RARA-AVIS: Thoughts on James Ellroy

Neil (
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:28:54 -0500

> It's possible that Ellroy has said all he has to say

Possible. I think maybe that his well ran dry, but instead of allowing it to naturally fill up with what he has to say next (here's hoping, but that Danny Gatchell narration-novel sounds bleak), I think he pumped out some mud with those GQ pieces. I'm glad GQ is publishing him (and paying him well, I assume), but he's almost like a columnist! He's in there damn near every month. I'd like to see a few pieces in the mag a year, but he really needs to hunker down on the important work.