Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Homicide and Noir TV

John Woolley (
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:08:49 -0600 (MDT)

Noirest thing I ever saw on TV was a 13-hour miniseries called
"Game, Set, and Match", taken from three of Len Deighton's spy novels and directed by Patrick Lau. Bleak and awful, morally ambiguous, suffused with a terrible nostalgia, and each episode introduced with a spectacular cello theme that seemed to embody all the world's sadness. Ian Holm was magnificent, Mel Martin heartbreaking and lovely and brilliant, the entire cast very very good.

I don't know if it's available on videotapes. It should be.

-- Fr. John Woolley