RARA-AVIS: Re: Implausible

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 16 Oct 2010

    Patrick K(ing) wrote:

    > That's as may be (that Erle Stanley Gardner was hard-boiled) , but I'm talking about plausible and implausible. Erle Stanley
    > Gardner's plot resolutions frequently fall in the implausible drawer. That
    > doesn't mean I don't enjoy the stories. I just have to stretch my credibility to
    > accept that Perry Mason can always find a cab and his convoluted legal schemes
    > always work out. ESG is one of my favorite writers, nonetheless, but plausible
    > he is not.

    If you concede that Gardner is both implausible and hard-boiled, what does that do to your argument that hard-boiled is more realistic than cozies?

    And how do you decide when your last name is Kennedy and when it's King?

    Or are there really two of you out there, finishing each other's thoughts? Sheesh, sometimes truth is more implausible than fiction. But then, real life doesn't have to make sense. Fiction does.

    Kevin Burton Smith