RE: RARA-AVIS: The Deadly Percheron and In A Vain Shadow

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 16 Jul 2010

    If you enjoyed PERCHERON, look on eBay or ABE.com for a THE JOHN FRANKLIN BARDIN OMNIBUS, which features not only PERCHERON but also THE LAST OF PHILIP BANTER and DEVIL TAKE THE BLUE-TAIL FLY...his best three novels, all in one package. Great, great stuff. It also features an interesting -- though lamentably short -- introduction by Julian Symons.

    Speaking of Centipede/Millipede, if you enjoyed Bardin, you might also enjoy another volume they've recently put out: William Sloane's TO WALK THE NIGHT and THE EDGE OF RUNNING WATER (double-volume). I haven't picked up this particular volume yet (though I want to!), but have read the novels in their earlier combo package, THE RIM OF MORNING. While in truth Sloane has a different style and thematic approach than Bardin's almost surreal, hallucinatory construct, there's a shared vibe there that I can't really pinpoint, other than to say if you enjoyed one you'll likely enjoy the other.

    Ron C.