RARA-AVIS: Re: Don Winslow

From: tomarmstrongmusic (tom@tomarmstrongmusic.com)
Date: 16 Jul 2010

    I recently read "You play the black and the red comes up" and it had quite a take on California, along the lines of "any man who crosses the mountains into California instantly becomes totally insane". I don't really agree, but Hallas/Knight almost made me believe it.

    I enjoyed this book a lot, in spite of its obvious debt to Cain it's got its own thing going on. I certainly got why it gets slagged off as a pastiche. The author, being an Englishman, didn't quite nail his narrator's Oklahoma voice the way a James M. Cain or Jim Thompson would've. I thought he came close enough though, and his guy's dim-bulb personality, emotional turmoil, muddled thinking, and lack of understanding of his own & others motivations, it all rang true. The twists at the end didn't stop where I thought they would, they kept going until they became truly unpredictable, a real piling-on of ironies. And I truly loved the sorta surreal last few pages. Great payoff, in spite of their ambiguity.

    Tom Armstrong