RARA-AVIS: Re: Cain and Thompson Question

From: ejmd (ejmd__@ntlworld.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2009

    "Nigel Algar" montana@dircon.co.uk
    <mailto:montana@dircon.co.uk?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Cain%20and%20Thompson%20Question>
      arcade47 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/arcade47>

    > With all the confidence of not owning a single Orion edition, I doubt
    > whether they differ in any way from the American originals, except
    > perhaps in the spelling of such words as 'colour'. There is a presumed
    > familiarity with American usage such as 'gas', 'sidewalk' etc that it
    would
    > seem very nannyish to adjust the text. As far as bowdlerising
    (there's an
    > English term for you) the text, those days are long past.
    >
    > So, no tweaking.

    I don't have any Orion editions either, so I can't check; but I would doubt that any publisher would go to the trouble (ie expense) of
    "tweaking" a text to the extent of adding the missing "u" to words like
    "colour" and "flavour" in order to assuage the sensibilities of the delicate English audience.

    ED