RE: RARA-AVIS: Dark Blue

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Aug 2009

    I'm watching it, even enjoying it a bit, especially for its dark mise en scene, but I'm finding the plots and characters pretty cliche: Brooding, controlling cop who is haunted by past failures, willing to cross the line to get the job done; one cop who may be crossing the line too much, another who keeps threatening to get himself in trouble because he won't commit enough to his undercover roles because he thinks too much about getting home to his wife; finally, a new recruit with secrets who is torn between those two models, of giving all or having an outside life. That makes it fine summer entertainment, but I don't see myself wanting to watch reruns. I will say, though, that last night's kidnap episode was a bit less predictable, had some good tense moments. Of course, having actors from The Wire in it just reminded me of how far above other cop shows The Wire was.

    Mark