Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Doogan

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 27 May 2008

Speaking of Alaska, I recently read John Straley's The Big Both Ways, which was a pretty interesting hybrid of hard boiled crime/naturalist/adventure fiction. It's about a logger in the Depression era Pacific Northwest who walks off the job only to get a ride with a pretty communist with a corpse in the trunk of her car. One thing leads to another, and soon the logger, the commie, and her little niece, are forced to flee Seattle for Alaska in a small boat while being pursued by union men, private security thugs and the police. The novel drags in some places because I think the author tries to cram in a little of everything, but overall I liked it.

Straley has a PI series set in Alaska as well. Has anyone read any of those?