Re: RARA-AVIS: Maltese Falcon

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 May 2008

--- Jack Bludis < buildsnburns@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a tribute to Hammett to see how we discuss the
> Psychology of fictional characters -- but that's
> where I came in.
>
> BTW, pity poor Scarlett O'Hara? Not me.
*************************************************** It is a tribute to Hammett, but to my mind this is what separates good fiction from mediocre fiction. Similar discussion have been going on for years about Raskolnikov or Humbert Humbert and no one questions their validity. THE MALTESE FALCON is a great book that poses universal questions in a detective story. I think Doyle's work often does this, too.

As to Scarlett, I don't pity her. But she's a woman in a tough situation and she makes the most of it. Frankly, Jack, I don't give a damn.

Patrick