RARA-AVIS: Maltese Falcon

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 May 2008

I'm coming to this latest discussion a little late, but I find it interesting that a group of mystery fans, can discuss fictional characters as if they were ever alive.

In my opinion, Bridget was a sociopath. I believe, as several others have suggested, that Spade at least should have known that Bridget killed Archer. What I don't quite understand is why she did. Or was it just Hammett's tool to get the story going?

The observation of the homosexual subculture of pre-WWII is interesting, but something I really never thought about until this current thread. Yes, I did observe the implications when reading the book, and it seems even more obvious in the Bogart version of the book, but again ... so what. It doesn't make Spade evil in the battle; they just happen to be the people on the other side.

Bridget put upon? Nope, has nothing to do with the battle of the sexes, except that she happens to be the sole female in the battle for who gets the rara avis.

I like the theory, that Spade didn't turn her over to the police because he wanted the reward of the bird for himself. I'd never thought of that. I just thought he wanted to find the bird because of the ten thou he was promised. Although, thinking about it, why would he trust Gutman and company to pay off?

Spade isn't evil. He's an entrepreneur.

Another thought: did Spade turn Bridget over to the cops because it was the easiest way to get that particular albatross from around his neck?

It's a tribute to Hammett to see how we discuss the Psychology of fictional characters -- but that's where I came in.

BTW, pity poor Scarlett O'Hara? Not me.

Jack Bludis

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/aboutjack.htm http://thrillingdetective.com/fiction/03_06.html