RARA-AVIS: Re:Marnie/ [was: Woolrich recommendations? ]

From: blumenidiot ( blumenidiot@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> --- William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:
>
> > No, Marnie is a sick, misogynistic and sadistic
> > farce
> > so people will line up for that. It's a despicable
> > film.

> You're weird, William! Needless to say, I completely
> disagree with you. MARNIE is not a generalization
> about all women. It is a very specific story about a
> specific psychological reaction to events, and for
> mainstream film making, it was groundbreaking in its
> day (1966). In my opinion it's Hitchcock's most
> under-rated film. Wonderfully cast even in supporting
> roles.

The second time I'm agreeing with you, Patrick. I don't think Marnie is a great film, but I like it. I've even read the original novel. I guess if you are feeling really generous you could even call it noir.

  You have to remember William doesn't particularly like Hitchcock. I wasn't that big on him when I was in my twenties/early thirties. I didm't like the implausibities of many of his plots. Mark