Re: RARA-AVIS: The best novel you read this year

From: Gonzalo Baeza ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 29 Dec 2007

Not to be repetitive, but the best novel I read this year was Fat City by Leonard Gardner. I can't recommend it enough. Other good ones were: Richard Bachman's Blaze, Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice (no matter how many times I read it, I still find it perfect), Dan Marlowe's The Name of the Game is Death (same as Postman...), Charlie Huston's Caught Stealing, James Reasoner's Death Head Crossing, Iain Levison's Since the Layoffs (obscure yet deserving of more recognition). Best non fiction: Francine Prose's Reading Like a Writer.

The worst: Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein, Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box (never understood the hype), Doris Lessing's The Cleft and Don DeLillo's Falling Man.

-Gonzalo B. saddlebums.blogspot.com

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <dz@...> wrote:

> My favorite crime fiction novel read during 2007 was The Dain Curse
by
> Hammett, but my favorite new crime novel was Reasonable Doubts by
> Gianrico Carofiglio. Other very good novels read: Dead Street by the
> Mick, Robbie's Wife by Russell Hill (maybe the best true noir novel
> I've come across in years), Cross by Ken Bruen, Cruel Poetry by Vicki
> Hendricks, reprints by Hardcase: Vengeful Virgin, The Peddler, The
Last