Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Allan Guthrie's Top 200 Noirs

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Dec 2007

--- William Ahearn < williamahearn@yahoo.com> wrote:
 I'm not a fan of Evan Hunter's
> work
> or the Matthew Hope series which shows McBain (or
> Hunter) really wasn't committed to it and said as
> much
> in an interview.
>
> The last several 87ths aren't so hot. The other 40
> or
> so are good reads.
****************************************************** I can think of several GREAT Hunter titles: LAST SUMMER, NOBODY KNEW THEY WERE THERE, COME WINTER, CRIMINAL CONVERSATIONS. If he wasn't committed to the work he did under that name, he must have been a natural at creating believable plots. None of them are shoddy, tossed off books. He grabbs me from the first sentence and holds on. I tend to read them fast, too. Put off doing other things and just read the book.

It's true the last two 87th stories weren't very good, but they weren't awful, either. They just didn't hold me the way he usually does. Hunter/McBain is one of my favorite writers. He's on a par with Leonard and Rendell for me.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs