RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler's The Lady in the Lake

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Nov 2007

Mark,

Re your question below:

> So Jim, does AIRPLANE raise as much of your ire as LONG GOODBYE?

I'm not a big Arthur Hailey fan.

I suppose, in an objective sense, AIRPLANE is as objectionable in the sense that it's not faithful to its source material.

On the other hand, it's not really an adaptation in the same sense that Altman's film is. It's a parody, using the bare bones of the plot for comedic effect, and making fun of the familiar tropes of the the genre in an affectionate, if sometimes biting way.

In this sense, it seems more like MURDER BY DEATH, THE CHEAP DETECTIVE, or DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID, none of which are meant to be taken seriously.

Altman DID meant to be taken seriously. I pay him the compliment of taking him seriously, and, consequently, despise his film.

JIM DOHERTY