Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler's The Lady in the Lake

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 08 Nov 2007

-----Original Message-----

Jim, who are these nameless people who supposedly knew Spillane so well that you can speak for him through their words? Not long before Mickey died he was interviewed for a documentary on A. I. Bezzerides who wrote the screenplay for Kiss Me Deadly and he stated that he STILL hated the film and thought it had little or nothing to do with his book.

(And for the record, it appears that it was Bezzerides who initially really hated the source material and wanted to do an "anti-Spillane" adaptation of the book - this comes from Bezzerides himself, not just people "who knew him well.")

Now maybe Mickey somehow enjoyed Meeker's performance in spite of hating the film, but it would be nice if you provided some sort of real documentation to back up your statement. Like some direct quotes from Mickey himself. Nevertheless, if the question is did he like the movie and did he think it represented his book, the answer to that would be the same as it always was for Spillane: "No."

But you are right about one thing: These two cases are not comparable. In the case of KISS ME DEADLY we have all the parties on record as to their opinions of the various versions of work we are discussing.

In the case of THE LONG GOODBYE, we have only your opinion of the film to go on since Chandler was long dead before it was made and you've decided to speak for him (repeatedly). Plus your repeated misquotings of what Altman himself said about his intentions when approaching the material. And now you are also repeating your old material about Altman's parents' sex life. Not sure why you're obsessed with that, but...

"It's okay by me."

TL