RARA-AVIS: Re: query re: Red Harvest and corresponding Black Mask stories

From: Vladimir ( kerwud@yandex.ru)
Date: 12 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Christina" <xpistiva33@...> wrote:

> I'm de-lurking in order to ask for help tracking down
> some information about Hammett's Red Harvest. Specifically, I'm
> trying to find out which chapters in Red Harvest correspond
> (approximately) to the earlier stories in Black Mask.
>
> I've learned from the Rara-Avis Hammett Bibliography that Red
> Harvest comprises these four Black Mask stories:
>
> "The Cleansing of Poisonville"
> "Crime Wanted - Male or Female"
> "Dynamite"
> "The 19th Murder"
>
> I've read elsewhere that the first story ("The Cleansing of
> Poisonville") roughly corresponds to chapters 1-7 of Red Harvest,
> but I can't seem to dig up similar information about the remaining
> three stories. Does anyone know, or could anyone point me in the
> direction of sources I might consult?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christina

Christina, Maybe you know the site
"A Guide to Classic Mystery and Detection" by Michael E. Grost citation: Red Harvest (1927) is a set of four linked stories <...> The four sections are Chapters 1 - 7, 8 - 14, 15 - 20, and 20 - 27.

http://members.aol.com/mg4273/hammett.htm#Harvest

Regards, Vladimir