RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2007

Mr T. said:

> And you can make a noir film that
> looks like a Western (_The Shooting_, for example)

Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" is a great mix of Western and noir (and one of my favorite films). I always looked at "3:10 to Yuma" as more noir than Western also although a lot of people would fit it more as hardboiled. "High Noon" is also a good mix of western + hardboiled and noir.

About mixing western and noir in fiction, last year Ed Gorman and I published a western noir issue of Hardluck Stories that's going to be published soon with some additional stories as a print anthology by Cemetary Dance Publications (and with Martin Greenberg joining us as one of the co-editors). Some of the stories are a mix of harboiled and western, most are noir with a western setting. In my opinion, they're all well-worth reading, but one particular noir gem by Bentley Little titled "Hell" can be found at:

http://www.hardluckstories.com/Summer2006/Hell-Little.htm

--Dave