Re: RARA-AVIS: Types of noir (was Re: Pop. 1280)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 28 Jul 2007

miker:

"Shakespeare's Macbeth comes to mind. Great noir scene with her trying to wash the blood from her hands. Lots of (gratuitous?) violence, too. Bill was a crowd pleaser."

Mario:

"So, do you think Macbeth is psycho noir? Who is the psycho? I can't see Macbeth as noir, let alone psycho noir..."

I'm with Mario. For me, there's a big difference between a character's being psycho and going insane. Lou Ford is psycho from the beginning of The Killer Inside Me. Lady Macbeth is driven insane. Both her and her husband's descent begins with rationally considered steps to gain power.

"though one could adapt the story to make a noir novel or film. I bet the Hollywood boys have done it, more than once or ten times."

Kurosawa made it as Throne of Blood, but I don't consider it noir.

Mark