RARA-AVIS: Re: Digest Number 1548

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:

> --- Jacques Debierue <matrxtech@...> wrote:
>

> > You can´t say it was all over by 1955, that´s not
> > true in literature
> > or in film. A film like Coppola´s _The Conversation_
> > is pure noir, yet
> > is not an hommage to anything, it is a late
> > seventies noir story.
>
> We totally disagree. And that's good. But that "The
> Conversation" isn't a hommage to anything is clearly
> misstated. It is -- without question or doubt -- a
> hommage to Antonioni's "Blow Up." Do you want to
> suppose that "Blow Up" is also noir?

Certainly, as is the Julio Cortạr short story on which it is based. Both _Blow Up_ and _The Conversation_ are noir according to me. But the value of a movie is not in its category but in the movie itself, so the discussion may be futile. I just want it on the record that don't see 1955 as the end of noir at all. I don't think noir has ended or will end, though it goes through changes like everything else.

Best,

MrT