RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "GB" <mnc_fb@...> wrote:

> The violence in the work of some of the classic authors like Thompson
> or Dan Marlowe never seems gratuitous or over the top in the manner
> of so many contemporary noir writers who think an exploding head and
> a blood-splattered windshield is the modern-day equivalent of a
> cartoon character slipping on a banana peel. One culprit behind this
> trend, in my opinion, is none other than Quentin Tarantino. Just as
> you say that many of the new novels are books based on other books
> instead of life, Tarantino's films mymic his predecessors' work
> behind a faux ironic smirk instead of expressing a genuine outlook on
> life.

I don't think Tarantino is very good. I would go so far as to say he is not even good. If he has shown any originality, I have missed it.

> His influence on the rest of popular culture (from the ever more
> gross films of people like Eli Roth to many of the recent noir
> novels) is likewise tangible.

Influenced by Tarantino? That is not a very good recommendation.

As to noir and violence (sex has nothing to do with violence, in principle, and should be treated separately, though I don't see why it should be treated, it's part of normal life), you can have a wonderful noir novel without any violence, or with only incidental violence, or with violence present but not described. I think we all know examples. I don't think a lot of violence, or a detailed description of torturous violence is a necessary ingredient. Something needs to go very wrong, but it doesn't have to lead to or involve physical violence.

Best,

MrT