Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 04 Jul 2007

----- Start Original Message ----- Sent: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 12:32:05 -0000 From: "Jacques Debierue" < matrxtech@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "GB" <mnc_fb@...> wrote:
> >
> > The violence in the work of some of the classic authors like Thompson
> > or Dan Marlowe never seems gratuitous or over the top in the manner
> > of so many contemporary noir writers who think an exploding head and
> > a blood-splattered windshield is the modern-day equivalent of a
> > cartoon character slipping on a banana peel. One culprit behind this
> > trend, in my opinion, is none other than Quentin Tarantino. Just as
> > you say that many of the new novels are books based on other books
> > instead of life, Tarantino's films mymic his predecessors' work
> > behind a faux ironic smirk instead of expressing a genuine outlook on
> > life.
>
> I don't think Tarantino is very good. I would go so far as to say he
> is not even good. If he has shown any originality, I have missed it.

I can't stand they way Tarantino glorifies violence - with the sole exception of Jackie Brown, I stay away from his movies. I've never seen Pulp Fiction by choice. The only thing worse is his "acting"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)