Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Sports Noir

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 17 Feb 2007

  In a message dated 2/17/2007 7:01:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, kmontin@sympatico.ca writes:

  Body, by Harry Crews, concerns the vicious world of female bodybuilding competition. A really dark book. I liked it a lot. I definitely did not feel like running over to the gym and lifting weights afterwards.

A question for Vicki: I know you admire Harry Crews. Would you say that Body in particular inspired Iguana Love in any way?

Karin

You know, I never thought about it, but on some abuconscious level, Body surely might have influenced me. I was working out a lot with weights, however, when I wrote Iguana Love. I also ran into a bodybuilder who gave me a connection for some steroid research (interview only), so I think that was the more direct link. However, I wonder if I became interested in body building through Harry Crews in the first place. It's scary to think that I'm so heavily influenced by the fiction I read! Vicki