Re: RARA-AVIS: Sports Noir

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2007

 Try The Spoiler by Domenic Stansberry. I picked it up a few weeks ago. I haven't finished it yet, other books have taken precedent, but what I've read I like very much. It's about a reporter who stumbles onto corrupt doings related to a minor league baseball team in a burnt out New England Mill Town. I also like his take on journalism thus far. It's a lot more cynical, and probably more realistic, than other depictions I've read. Reporters in fiction tend to be either shallow and unscrupulous, or crusading do-gooders. In real life, however, this is hardly ever the case. That, however, is a discussion for another thread at another time.