RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 17 Feb 2007

I got Bust, by Jason Starr and Ken Bruen, for Christmas and read it recently. It's good noir fun. And the cover art matches the contents! Angela is actually blonde as depicted. Not a real blonde, but still. Their coauthorship is so well achieved that it's impossible to tell who wrote what. I really enjoyed it, right up to the ending, which I found just a little glib. There's a sequel coming out soon and I'll be interested to see what becomes of Angela and Max in that. Hard Case Crime is touting Slide with "THIS MAY BE THE MOST SHOCKING BOOK YOU EVER READ!"

I'm in the middle of Rough Neck, Jim Thompson's second volume of autobiography (haven't seen the first, Bad Boy). He has more adventures and misadventures and meets more colourful characters in the first fifteen pages than most people would in a lifetime. He was a very young man when the Depression began and he had a hard time earning a living. Amazingly, he kept on writing fiction even as he worked a variety of low-paying jobs with long hours.

Karin