Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2007

I've been reading as many mysteries as ever, but not a lot of hardboiled stuff recently. I recently reread Hammett's RED HARVEST and am now firmly convinced this is one of the great American novels, as pure as a folk tale. I read Hard Case's GRAVE DESCEND, by John Lange, and thought it was reasonably good, better than some of the stuff they've dug up. (I thought that Pete Hammill book -- THE GUNS OF HEAVEN? -- was just awful.)

I'm currently going through the Pronzini/Adrian edited HARD-BOILED anthology from Oxford UP. I think a mixed bag so far, but I did like Ellroy's "Gravy Train", the touching love story of a man and a pampered pit bull; Raoul Whitfield's "Mistral", which makes me want to seek out GREEN ICE; Chester Himes's "Marijuana and a Pistol" which shouldn't work but somehow implausibly does, mainly because Himes keeps the whole thing short and stark; and Robert Sampson's "To Florida", which is almost unbearably grim but does succeed in what it sets out to do. But I'm not done yet.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

____________________________________________________________________________________ Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097