RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir with no crime?

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Moore" <moorich@...> wrote: The fights were somewhat
> underground even then and I think the likely reason was the
gambling
> certain to take place and to a much lesser extent the sale of
bootleg
> liquor in what was a bone-dry county. The area preachers were hell
on
> gambling and drinking and would have pushed for raids.
>
> The movie "Cockfighter" was filmed in Georgia.

According to Monte Hellman, cockfighting was illegal in Georgia when he was shooting the film, but the authorities turned a blind eye to it. Jimmy Carter visited one of the real cockfighting arenas where the film was being shot, and talked about how his family had been cockfighters for generations.

Too bad I didn't know enough to seek
> out Willeford. I've never read his COCKFIGHTER JOURNAL. Has it
ever
> been reprinted?

No. There was single tiny print run in 1989 limited to only 300 copies! Willeford makes a number of factual errors in the journal, for example claiming that Laurie Bird "leaped out of a window and killed herself" (whereas she actually died of a drug overdose).