RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir with no crime?

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2007

Growing up in rural Georgia in mid-20th Century, there were several fellows near our place who raised and fought gamecocks. Tagging along with my father on visits, I recall admiring their plumage and being shown one of the spurs. I don't believe cockfighting was outlawed in Georgia back then, although it is now. The fights were somewhat underground even then and I think the likely reason was the gambling certain to take place and to a much lesser extent the sale of bootleg liquor in what was a bone-dry county. The area preachers were hell on gambling and drinking and would have pushed for raids.

The movie "Cockfighter" was filmed in Georgia. As a reporter covering the state legislature, I remember a dazed looking Troy Donahue being introduced in the state senate. Too bad I didn't know enough to seek out Willeford. I've never read his COCKFIGHTER JOURNAL. Has it ever been reprinted?

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "uplandharmabooks"