RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir with no crime?

From: mburch5717@AOL.com
Date: 09 Jan 2007

I think that MacBeth is a better candidate for best Shakespearean noir: plenty of crimes, an atmosphere of inescapable doom and one of the nastiest femme fatales in the business.

But seriously folks it seems to me we are making the term noir so elastic that it really doesn't have any meaning. Doestoevski, Kerouac, Steinbeck, Henry Miller (?!) are supposed to be noir or proto-noir authors? Why not throw in A. A. Milne, Arthur Miller and Nabokov for good measure?

Mike