Re: RARA-AVIS: The Outsiders

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2006

> I think this was the title. By a fellow named Hinton?
> Has anybody read this? Saw it at the bookstore and
> it looked interesting. 1960s book. Quote from the
> book on the back cover is of the protagonist getting
> mugged.

This was required reading in many American classrooms in the late 1960s. That book, more than any other I've read, captured the youth scene of 1963/64.

It was made into a movie in 1983, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, starring Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Diane Lane, Leif Garrett and Tom Waits.

Although I was only nine or ten when I read it, I thought it was the best book I had ever read up to that point my life. It was books like that and The Amboy Dukes and The Cross and the Switchblade that got me started on hardboiled fiction.

Jeff