RARA-AVIS: Re: noirs

From: kerkhoc ( Claus_Kerkhoff@web.de)
Date: 23 Mar 2006

> Have their been any noir or HB works directly inspired by, or
retelling, stories from the Bible? There must be some obvious ones, but off the top of my head I can't think of any. For ancient literature all I can think of is Willeford's COCKFIGHTER, which draws on on THE ODYSSEY.

IMO P[incus] J[acob] Wolfsons "Bodies Are Dust" is a roman noir retelling the story of King David who loves passionately Batseba and commits crimes after another. Wolfson moved the story to New York city during the prohibition era. It was issued in 1931 [New York: Vanguard Press, 1931] and is a masterpiese of noir fiction - worth while to be rediscovered.

Claus