Re: RARA-AVIS: Unreliable narrator

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2005

Kerry Schooley wrote:

Me, I think the novel's a failure if people stop reading, for whatever reason. Sometimes that reason is because there's not enough happening, not enough plot, to engage their interest.

*********** A friend at work was telling me about the glowing reviews that Siskel and Ebert were giving a movie that he had seen and thought was boring as hell. He noted all the reasons why the critics had loved it, and none of those reasons involved whether it was actually entertaining.

There's a bunch of reasons to read, and the esoteric, mind-expanding, artsy-fartsy-touchy-feely one is always a good card to play. All that is fine, I guess, but this callow hillbilly's number one reason for reading is for entertainment.

I found your comment, Kerry, about people talking about books they haven't read, amusing. I read somewhere that many of the fashionable but dull bestsellers are bought but not read. Now that I think about it, I think that came up in Willeford's Writing and Other Blood Sports.

miker