RARA-AVIS: Re: Manifesto for the Dead

From: crimeflix ( jmks100@aol.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2005

"I got a chance to look at some of those books of yours.
> And I been wondering. They got much biography in them?
> Auto, I mean. Tales of the self." Thompson looked at
> him blankly. "I mean, you seem like a nice guy. And
> I ask myself, well, all of us, we got something a little
> weird inside. I say, okay, so it's there inside him too.
> Then I wonder, what's it like? You know, to be thinking
> those kinds of things you think. A man up to his neck
> in a pile of shit. A woman cutting off her husband's
> privates with a piece of glass. A man hitting his
> girlfriend with his fist. In the gut. Hitting her so
> hard her stomach bursts. That blood bursts out her mouth
> like some kind of star exploding between her teeth.
> It makes me wonder.... So don't you ever worry, the
> things you write, just describing things like that,
> back there in the recesses, about what might happen?
> You contemplate a thing long enough, you describe it--
> you make it part of the world. And some things, maybe
> they should be left alone."
>
> Thompson doesn't have an answer. Do you? I wonder if Mr. Starr and
Ms.
> Hendricks and other writers get the same question, and how they
answer it.

Dominic wrote: If Thompson didn't answer the question, I don't know that I should be foolish enough to try..

I'm foolish enough! Yeah, I do get that question a lot and I usually deflect, go, "Well, I'm writing fiction, right?" But I think the deeper answer is that even the very darkest, depraved parts of my books have something to do with me....Obviously, they're exaggerations or I'd be doing thirty to life somewhere...but it all comes out of my own issues/stuff that concerns me, that I think is worth exploring. That's why it usually doesn't work when a writer sets out to write something very dark and violent--it has to be a natural vision/view of the world or it could come off as gratuitous. J http://www.jasonstarr.com