Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams [an offshoot of Spirited discussions, critical r

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2005

By "sleaze" I refer only to the genre (more accurately
"pulp erotica"), not the book--and Bedside/Magnet published nothing but. There are gems in any genre, to be sure--needed to balance out the rote exercises (these last being a staple of the Orrie Hitt school).

One of the best "sleaze" series I've come across are the four books John Gilmore wrote for France Books in 1963, DARK OBSESSION, MISS BRUTAL, STRANGE FIRE, and LESBOS IN PANAMA--they're much closer to Noir than to Sleaze, and DE & MB are truly excellent examples of their kind.

Didn't know there was any doubt about FIRES being a CW book; it certainly reads like him, and Magnet in 1960 wouldn't've paid too much less than GM. Interesting if your speculation were true re its chronology.

Rob

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html