Re: RARA-AVIS: Re Lankford's comment & New McCarthy

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 25 Jul 2005

John wrote:

"someone please explain why Mailer is considered literature.   I find him pretentious and unreadable.   oh, did I just answer my own question?"

Naked and the Dead blew me away when I read it in college (by choice, not an assignment). I was also impressed by Advertisements for Myself, a collection of essays and bits of fiction. However, I could never get much further into him. The last thing I completed by him was Ancient Evenings. I have no clue why that ode to anal sex was so well thought of; is it still?

I do keep meaning to get back to reading Executioner's Song, though. (I thought the first 100 pages or so were good, but was forced to put it down for some reason or other and haven't gotten back to it.) I first picked it up after hearing raves here, and seeing Matthew Barney's Cremaster 2, which is inspired by Gary Gilmore's story and features Mailer in a small role, as Houdini, if I recall (it's an art film, shown in museums, not even close to a straight narrative).

Mark