Re: RARA-AVIS: Spirited discussions, critical reviews, and numerical arguments

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 25 Jul 2005

Charles replied to my question about how he chose books to publish:

"The answer is that I didn't like the other Al Colby books when I read them; PLUNDER OF THE SUN is the only one I felt holds up well after more than half a century. As for why we didn't reprint TOUCH OF EVIL and TO CATCH A THIEF, I thought that, other things being equal, it would be more fun to introduce readers to books they'd never heard of than to re-introduce them to stories they thought they knew."

As I said, I'm not complaining about your choices. I really, really liked Plunder of the Sun. Thanks for 361, one of the very few early, hardboiled Westlakes I haven't read. And I'm enjoying Branded Woman so far. I wish more of Wade Miler's non-series work was available. Devil May Care was great and I have yet to read my copy of Deady Weapon, but that's all I've been able to find of them.

Oh, the nitpicker in me has to ask, wasn't Touch of Evil actually written under the name Whit Masterson, not Wade Miller? Did they write other books under the Msterson name?

Mark