Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams [an offshoot of Spirited discussions, critical r

From: George Tuttle (
Date: 25 Jul 2005

It's more of a coming of age story than sleaze -- not that I have anything against writers like Orrie Hitt and publishers like Beacon and Midwood.

I don't know if anyone has truly authenticated Fires of Youth as a novel by "the" Charles Williams (1909-1975). It is a well written book
(not great, but well crafted, just the same) which would lead me to think it is by "the" Charles Williams. On the other hand, it is not a typical Charles Williams book and it was published by a minor publisher, not the kind of publisher Williams or his agent would be likely to place a book with (unless there were some unusual circumstances).

I would theorize it was completely or partially written before Hill Girl as an early attempt at a serious novel.