Re: RARA-AVIS: You call this literature?

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2005

I admitted:

Mark said:
>Now that's an intriguing subgenre. What other books would you add to
>the list of thrillers/crime novels by literary types? I can think of
>two immediately: Squeeze Play by Paul Benjamin Auster, who drops the
>last name for his pseudonym, and Straight Cut by Madison Smartt (is it
>the "t" that's repeated or the "a," I can never remember) Bell.

Tough Guys Don't Dance is the most obvious example I can think of of an auther deliberately slumming. Squeeze Play and Straight Cut (along with Motherless Brooklyn and Amis's Night Train) strike me more as natural stops along the way for writers who have tried a number of styles. (Maybe I'm being too tough on ole Norman, since he certainly has tried many styles and wrote hardboiled books long before TGDD. I liked the book, slumming or no). No Country for Old Men is a worthy addition to this list.