Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen and the Tinkers

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 20 Mar 2005

From: "Joy Matkowski" < jmatkowski1@comcast.net>
> Not at all, Al. I'm finding the exchange fascinating.
> I'll point out that a single tooth extraction is not the same as
losing
> thirty teeth at once.

That's true. But we're getting into schoolboy/girl territory here (would you rather have 26 teeth removed or have your left eye sucked out?).

Incidentally, first scene I read after sending my last email involved a violent exchange in which a few teeth were knocked out (Day Keene: IF THE COFFIN FITS). I suspect that the loss of teeth in scenes of fictional violence is always going to figure highly. Teeth are an obvious symbol of aggression, so knocking them out emasculates (or pacifies, if emasculation isn't applicable).

Al

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM