Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen and the Tinkers

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 17 Mar 2005

Thanks for the link to the Bruen interview, Al. I had trouble getting it to work, but finally did. It's very inspirational when a writer can be uncompromising and still published and read. What I found especially interesting was that although Ken Bruen will not tone down the violence in his books to suit anyone else, he still has his own "too much" that he doesn't want to read:

"No, noir can never be noir enough, but I hate the gore in many mystery novels­full on scenes of minute descriptions of skinning or cannibalism. I don't think that's noir. It's pure sensationalism… and wasted space. Less is more and suggestion is almost more horrific. Set the scene and let the reader draw the horrible implication­works so much better."

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM