RARA-AVIS: A Hell of an Ending

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 17 Dec 2004

I was very impressed by Thompson's ending to _A Hell of A Woman_. The alternate lines, one in italics and the other in roman, really shows the disintegration of a mind under the stress of self-contempt and a nightmare circle of romantic fantasy and the horrible reality of self-discovery. I read on rara-avis recently that Thompson was influenced by Faulkner and I wonder if this is stream of consciousness ending is an example. Also, it seems to be an early example of the "post modern" indeterminate or alternate closure, where reality has disintegrated for the narrator. I assume that this novel ranks almost as highly as _The Killer Inside Me_ as a study of a psychopathic personality.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM