RARA-AVIS: Scorsese's Cape Fear

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Dec 2004

Vince Keenan wrote:

It strikes me as strange, then, that Scorsese's one overt attempt at making a film in that mode -- CAPE FEAR, from MacDonald's THE EXECUTIONERS -- is such a misfire. Overheated and overwrought, with direction that calls attention to itself.

************** Overheated and overwrought? A claim that could easily be leveled at most of Shakespeare's works. Homer's Iliad, too, for that matter. I'm less than convinced that a style outside the narrow confines of contemporary realism constitutes a weakness. I thought the movie was absolutely spectacular, with a wild wrap that thankfully distanced itself from the bogus ending of the earlier movie and the unsatisfactory ending of the book. Great psychology and intricate moral questions. But more than anything, fun and frightening and entertaining.

miker

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM