RARA-AVIS: Re: Scorsese on Scorsese

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@hotmail.com)
Date: 16 Dec 2004

This TCM documentary is by film critic and historian Richard Schickel. (I just saw the new cut of Sam Fuller's THE BIG RED ONE that Schickel supervised -- powerful.) Scorsese talks about his great love of noir, and how happy he was that Warner Brothers picked up MEAN STREETS because they made the best gangster movies.

It strikes me as strange, then, that Scorsese's one overt attempt at making a film in that mode -- CAPE FEAR, from MacDonald's THE EXECUTIONERS -- is such a misfire. Overheated and overwrought, with direction that calls attention to itself. The 1962 version, filmed by journeyman J. Lee Thompson, is simpler, cleaner, and better.

Vince Keenan

www.vincekeenan.com Pop culture, high and low, past and present. One day at a time.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM